Levanger is a municipality in Norway, in Nord-Trondelang County. It is considered to be within the Innherred region. Levenager is the administrative hub of the municipality. Some of the other nearby towns include Skogn, Ronglan, Okkenhaug, Nesset, Mule, Momarka, Hokstad, and Ekne.
Levanger is a town situated at the mouth of the Levangereiva River. A big road through Levanger is Kirkegata. Levanger is a town that covers approximately 2.22 square miles, and it has a population of roughly 9,000. The population density is a little over 1,500 inhabitants per square kilometer. The town has been officially called a town since 1997.
Levanger was set up as a municipality in 1838. In 1856, the rural parts around Levanger were cut out from the town to create Levanger landsogn, a rural municipality (the name was then altered to Frol). After that, there were just 1,000 residents left in the town. In 1951, a small part of Frol was transferred to Levanger.
In 1962, the rural municipalities of Asen, Skogn, and Frol were combined with Levanger. Before the merger, the town had roughly 1,700 residents. In 1964, the island municipality of Ytteroy was combined with the Levanger municipality. Before the merger, Levanger had a little over 12,000 residents, and Ytteroy added on roughly 800 residents to bring up the population of the municipality to a little over 13,000.
The municipality (at first the parish) is named after an old farm called Levanger. The Old Norse word is Lifangr. The first church was created there. The first part is “lif” which is an Old Norse word for “lun”, which translates to “sheltered”, and the last part is angr, which translates to “fjord”.
Levanger could possibly be traced all the way back to the Iron Age, and it can definitely be traced back to the Viking Age.
The name of “Levanger” was listed in a famous historical saga. The historic town location was in a place a little different from the current location of the town center. In the Middle Ages, the area that is now a part of the municipality was part of Skeyna County in the old district of Innherred.
The town was founded by the king of Sweden in 1836, in the place where the village of Levanger had already existed prior to that point.
Levanger Photo Gallery
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us