Kongsvinger, is located on the Glomma River. The fortress town was established in 1644 during the Hannibal Feud. It was at this time that a fortification was built in the area. This fortification turned into a solid fortress. The upper town, called Ovrebyen, was located near the ramparts of the castle.
The railway arrived in the area during the 1860s and with this arrival the area became a market town. All of the new buildings were constructed around the area where the train station was located. Not much later, the quarter that was located between the train station and the Ovrebyen were made into a town center. There was a town hall and a bridge built here. In the year 1965, Kongsvinger was named as a development center. This led to industrial expansion in the area.
The fortress is what the area is most well known for. It is in an odd star shaped castle that has 16 batteries. There are many older buildings that are still in fine shape as well as a museum for the armed forces. The castle ramparts offer a wonderful view above the town and of the river when looking towards Sweden.
The forests that are between the Swedish border and Glomma were settled by Finnish immigrants during the 17th century.
Kongsvinger Photo Gallery
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us