Located on the Bygdoy peninsula in Norway, the Kon-Tiki Museum offers maps and vessels from the Kon-Tiki Museet. In addition, it offers a library with around 8000 books. The museum was opened provisionally in the year 1949. In the year 1957, the current building was opened. This building was designed by the architects Otto Torgersen and F.S. Platou. There was an extension added to the museum in 1978. It was designed by Torgersen.
In the year 1947, the world was watching as Thor Heyerdahl, along with is 5 man crew sailed over the Pacific in their balsa wood raft, which was extremely fragile. The name of the raft was Kon-Tiki. Over 101 days, the raft and its crew made it over 8000 kilometers all the way from Peru to Polynesia. The voyage offered proof that South Americans could have reached Polynesia on their balsa rafts.
The raft that the group sailed on is the highlight of the Kon-Tiki museum. There are a number of other items that are connected with the museum on display as well. Montages and texts provide a graphic account of how the people on board may have felt to be so close to ocean life. It would have been possible for them to catch a shark with their bare hands. The crew describes how a massive whale shark pushed against their raft at one point during their voyage.
Among the exhibits at the museum you will find the archaeological finds from all of Heverdahl’s expeditions to places such as Peru and Easter Island. The library at the museum contains the biggest collection of literature about the Polynesian area.
Kon-Tiki Museet Photo Gallery
Kon-Tiki Museet video guide
© 2016-2022 GabisWORLD.com Contact Us