The Hitterdal parish was established as a municipality on the first of January in 1838. In the year 1913, Notodden was separated as a municipality and as a city from Heddal. On the first of January in 1964, Heddal and Notodden were merged once again. The clerical district of Heddal is made up of 2 parishes, the Lisleherad and the Hitterdal.
Heddal Stavkirke is the main attraction of the Heddal village. It was built in 1242. The building has 3 spires and 64 roof surfaces. It is a wooden cathedral, and is the largest preserved medieval churches in all of Norway. The cathedral has an apse, a portico, as well as 3 naves. Some of the notable internal features of the cathedral include the bishop’s chair that has intricate carvings. The altar piece is also intricately designed. There are also wall paintings from the 17th century located throughout the church. It is still the main church of the district.
There is a vicarage barn located next to the church. The barn offers different exhibitions. There is also a restaurant located in the barn next to the cathedral. Some of the buildings that are on display in nearby Heddal Bygdetun are Rambergstugo. This is a house that was decorated in the year 1784. Rambergstugo is completed in a rustic style that is known as the rose painting, which was completed by Olav Hansson, a very well-known painter.
In 1905, the Norsk Hydro company was built in Notodden. There is a museum for the company alled Bedrifts-historisk Samling. The museum offers information about the company’s first years in operation. It also looks at the lives of railway navies.
Heddal Photo Gallery
© 2016-2022 GabisWORLD.com Contact Us