Since the stone ages, there have been people living in the area that is now Egersund. There are many places where there has been settlement ruins found that date back to the migration ages of Norway, which was in 400 through 600 BC.
Egersund is derived from the Norse name of the strait that was located between the mainlands and Eagerly that was called Eikundarsund. The name comes from the many oak trees that are found in the area as Eik is the Norwegian word for oak. Egersund is one of the oldest place names in all of Norway. It is found in the Eikundarsund form in Olav the Holy’s Norse saga, which was written by Snorri Sturlasson during the late part of the 13th century. From about the year 1000, it is known that Olav’s fleet came to the area quite often.
The Church of Saint Mary used to be located here. It is mentioned in 1292 by a writing from Pope Nicholas IV. This was the first church in the area. It is thought to stand where the present day church is now located. There also used to be a chapel in the town. It was called St. Laurenti and it is mentioned in a letter from 1308.
Egersund offers several points of interest. The Dalane Folemuseum offers a history of the area as well as antiquities. The Fayancemuseum has exhibits of porcelain and glazed earthenware that was created by Egersund Fayancefabrik from the year 1847 until 1979. Another attraction that is not very well known is Stoplesteinan. It is a somewhat smaller version of Stonehenge. It is over a thousand years old and some believe that it is close to 2000 years old. No one knows who is responsible for building it or why it was built. It is located just above Skarabrekka outside of the downtown area of Egersund.
Some of the best preserved wooden buildings of Norway can be found in the central part of Egersund. These buildings are in the Empire style and many are protected by law.
Egersund Photo Gallery
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us