Bygdoy Kongsgard was used by King Olav V for a summer residence. He used this royal estate for many years because he enjoyed the peace and idyllic surroundings offered by the royal farm from the 14th century.
The farm was acquired by King Hakon V. He then gave it to the Queen Eufemia in the year 1305. In the year 1352 Bygdoy Kongsgard was a monastic estate. It was then taken by the crown during the year 1532. It was to become a working estate during the reformation of 1536.
In the year 1837, King Karl Johan bought the farm from the state. In addition, the purchase included the main building that was constructed in the 1730s. King Christian Frederik, was in the garden room of this main building when he was given his last deputation on the tenth of October in 1814. At this point he expected that he would become king, but instead he had to make room for Karl Johan.
King Oscar II was interested in the estate and he established a museum to show the wooden houses located on the grounds in the year 1881. The collection of houses would become the foundation for the Norsk Folkemuseum. Oscar II also built Kongvillaene, which were designed in the chalet style from the Swiss Alps, for his employees of the royal court. Villa Gjoa remains today.
The main building was a wooden mansion that was painted in a bright white. This building is beautiful during the summer months when it is surrounded by the green plants. The farm covers a big area of northwest Bygdov as it takes up 200 hectares of agricultural land and forest. The area that faces the sea is called Kongeskogen, which means King’s Wood. There are 9.5 kilometers of public walking trails located here. The grounds that are located near the main house have been included in the Norsk Folkemuseum.
Bygdoy Kongsgard Photo Gallery
© 2016-2022 GabisWORLD.com Contact Us