...

Villach

The town of Spittal is dominated by the Goldeck peak (2,142 m/7,028 ft). The history of the town began in the 12th century, when Count Ortenburg founded a church and a Spittal or hospice on this site. The town owes its Renaissance character to the vast 16th-century Schloss Porcia, which is also known as Salamanca Palace after its builder, The modern thermal bath complex in the spa town of Villach the Spanish nobleman Gabriel of Salamanca. The Porcia family, who owned the palace from 1662 until 1918, added to its decor while preserving the original architecture based on Spanish Renaissance palaces. Its most beautiful aspect is the galleried inner courtyard; be sure to have a close look at the rich decorations of its individual storeys. The well-preserved palace now houses a museum of folk art on the two top floors. Environs: On a hill near the village of St. Peter in Holz, 5 km (3 miles) northwest of Spittal an der Drau, stand the ruins of an Early Christian church and the Romermuseum Teurnia. The hill was settled first by Celts, then by Romans, and the museum exhibits many small items, scripts and coins.

Villach Photo Gallery

Villach
Villach: 01 photo Villach Villach: 01 photo
Villach
Villach: 02 photo Villach Villach: 02 photo
Villach
Villach: 03 photo Villach Villach: 03 photo
Villach
Villach: 04 photo Villach Villach: 04 photo
Villach
Villach: 05 photo Villach Villach: 05 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us