...

St. Florian

Florian, the prefect of the Roman Noricum Province, converted to Christianity and was tortured and thrown into the Enns river as a result in 304. His body was retrieved and, in the 11th century, a magnificent abbey and a church were built on the site of his burial place by Augustinian monks; they remain the keepers of St. Florian to this day. The present appearance of the abbey and church is the work of two outstanding Baroque architects: Carlo Carlone and Jakob Prandtauer. St. Florian is an impressive complex of buildings, with monks’ quarters, reception rooms and a church with an adjoining chapel of the Virgin Mary. The main feature in the large courtyard is the Adlerbrunnen (Eagle Well), built in 1603. The east wing houses the library with its vast collection of over 140,000 volumes, incunabula and manuscripts. The ceiling painting by Altomonte shows the marriage of Virtue with Knowledge. Next to the library is the Marble Hall with its vast columns, designed by Jakob Prandtauer. The grand staircase in the west wing, also by Prandtauer, leads to the emperor’s apartments where important guests stayed. Adjacent is the room of Anton Bruckner, who was associated with St. Florian for many years. Carlo Carlone remodelled the abbey church — his great masterpiece. Worth seeing inside are the stained-glass windows, the lovely pulpit and the main altar with a painting of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary flanked by columns of pink Salzburg marble. The abbey also has an art gallery.

St. Florian Photo Gallery

St. Florian
St. Florian: 01 photo St. Florian St. Florian: 01 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us