...

Schwarzenbergplatz

The elongated Schwarzenberg Square, one of the city’s grandest spaces, is best seen from the Ringstrasse, from where several important structures come into view together. In the foreground is the equestrian statue of Prince Karl Schwarzenberg, who commanded the Austrian and allied armies in the Battle of Leipzig in 1813 against the French army under Napoleon. The Hochstrahlbrunnen (high jet fountain) was built in 1873 to mark the connection of Vienna’s first Alpine water supply. The fountain is floodlit in summer. It partly obscures the heroic-style Soviet monument to the Red Army that commemorates the Russian liberation of Vienna. Beyond the Russian monument, the beautiful Schwarzenberg Palace can be seen. It was built in 1697 by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt and altered by the Fischer von Erlachs, Johann Bernhard and Joseph Emanuel. Part of it will be converted into a luxurious hotel and restaurant, and one wing houses the Swiss Embassy.

Schwarzenbergplatz Photo Gallery

Schwarzenbergplatz
Schwarzenbergplatz: 01 photo Schwarzenbergplatz Schwarzenbergplatz: 01 photo
Schwarzenbergplatz
Schwarzenbergplatz: 02 photo Schwarzenbergplatz Schwarzenbergplatz: 02 photo
Schwarzenbergplatz
Schwarzenbergplatz: 03 photo Schwarzenbergplatz Schwarzenbergplatz: 03 photo
Schwarzenbergplatz
Schwarzenbergplatz: 04 photo Schwarzenbergplatz Schwarzenbergplatz: 04 photo
Schwarzenbergplatz
Schwarzenbergplatz: 05 photo Schwarzenbergplatz Schwarzenbergplatz: 05 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us