Ringebu is part of Gudbrandsdal, which is a traditional region of Norway. It was established in the year 1838 on the first of January. The name Ringebu was from Old Norse. The first element likely comes from ringr that means ring. The last element of bu means a rural district.
The Stave Church was built around 1220. It is one of the largest stave churches and only one of thirty of this type of church that is still surviving. The church was extended by Werner Olsen between the years 1630 and 1631. Olsen was a builder who rebuilt several of the stave churches in the valley.
The city is bordered in the northwest by the Sor-Fron municipality. It shares a southwest border with Gausdal and in the south Oyer. On the east it borders Hedmark county.
The administrative center is located in Valebru. This is at a 182 meter elevation. About half of the area has borders that are larger than 900 meters. There are 2 mountain passes that provide access to the area. One of the passes is closed during the winter months. The area is popular among tourists as a winter destination because of the skiing conditions. Ringebu was a venue for downhill skiing during the Winter Olympics in 1994.
Ringebu Photo Gallery
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us