...

Pollau

Pollau lies at the centre of a national park, surrounded by woodland, vineyards and walking trails. The town’s main attraction is the former Augustinian Abbey and, above all, the lovely St Veit’s church. Built between 1701 and 1712 by Joachim Carlone of the famous family of architects from Graz, this is a splendid example of Styrian Baroque. The building is vast: the main nave and presbytery measures 62 m (203 ft), the transept 37 m (121 ft) and the dome is 42 m (138 ft) high. The vaults and the inside of the dome are decorated with trompe l’oeil frescoes by Matthias von Gorz, depicting the four fathers of the church, two Augustinian saints and the 12 apostles. The main altarpiece has a monumental painting by Josef A. Molk showing the martyrdom of the patron saint St. Veit. Environs: About 6 km (4 miles) northeast of Pollau, high up on Pollauberg Hill, stands the 14th-century Gothic pilgrimage church of Maria- Lebing, with vault frescoes by Molk and two statues of the Virgin Mary — from the 15th and 17th centuries.

Pollau Photo Gallery

Pollau
Pollau: 01 photo Pollau Pollau: 01 photo
Pollau
Pollau: 02 photo Pollau Pollau: 02 photo
Pollau
Pollau: 03 photo Pollau Pollau: 03 photo
Pollau
Pollau: 04 photo Pollau Pollau: 04 photo
Pollau
Pollau: 05 photo Pollau Pollau: 05 photo
Pollau
Pollau: 06 photo Pollau Pollau: 06 photo
Pollau
Pollau: 07 photo Pollau Pollau: 07 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us