Oberwolz
...

Oberwolz

This small town, which grew rich through its trade in salt and the smelting of silver excavated in the surrounding hills, has preserved some of its former glory. In the surrounding area many archaeological finds from the Hallstatt period have been unearthed, revealing a long history. Oberwolz once belonged to the bishopric of Freising and up to the time of the Napoleonic wars its envoy resided in the neighbouring Schloss Rothenfels. The town has some wellpreserved remains of medieval fortifications, including three turrets and two town gates. Its pride is the Gothic Stadtpfarrkirche St Martin, the parish church of St Martin, a triple-nave basilica with an early-Gothic chapel and a 15th-century Gothic vestibule. In 1777, J. A. von Molk painted the ceiling frescoes in the chapel vault. On the external south wall is a relief from 1500, showing the Last Judgement. Next to the church stands the 14thcentury chapel of St Sigismund, with the Way of the Cross by Johann Lederwasch from the turn of the 18th century. In the Cultural Centre is a regional museum with a collection of archaeological finds from the area, and a museum of wind instruments.

Oberwolz Photo Gallery

Oberwolz
Oberwolz: 01 photo Oberwolz Oberwolz: 01 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us