...

Obernberg am Inn

Until the late 18th century, Obernberg belonged to Bavaria and was ruled by the bishops of Passau. In 1779, it transferred to Austria. The old market town has preserved its lovely Marktplatz, the central town square, lined with pretty houses with exceptionally beautiful, richly ornamented stucco fa?ades. Particularly interesting are the fa?ades of the houses at Nos 37, 38 and 57, with decorations attributed to the prominent Bavarian artist, Johann Baptist Modler. A fountain in the centre of the square is surrounded by sculptures. When visiting the Annakapelle, the parish church of Obernberg, it is worth taking a closer look at the 16thcentury wood-carving of the Holy Family. A castle, once owned by the bishops of Passau, has stood in Obernberg since the 12th century, but little remains of it. Environs: Near Obernberg, 15 km (9 miles) to the southwest, is the largest town of the province, Ried im Innkreis, an agricultural centre and the home town of the Schwanthaler family of sculptors. Many members of the family were outstanding artists, active in the region from 1632 to 1838. The local museum, at 3 Kirchenplatz, exhibits some of their works.

Obernberg am Inn Photo Gallery

Obernberg am Inn
Obernberg am Inn: 01 photo Obernberg am Inn Obernberg am Inn: 01 photo
Obernberg am Inn
Obernberg am Inn: 02 photo Obernberg am Inn Obernberg am Inn: 02 photo
Obernberg am Inn
Obernberg am Inn: 03 photo Obernberg am Inn Obernberg am Inn: 03 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us