...

Minoritenplatz

The dominant feature of the square is Minoritenkirche. Built originally by Minor Friars in 1224, the present structure is a Franciscan church from the 14th century. It was rebuilt during the Baroque period, and restored to its original Gothic form in the 19th century. The church retains a fine west portal (1340). The tower acquired its unusual pyramid shape during the Turkish siege of Vienna in 1529, when a shell sliced the top off the steeple. Inside the church is a mosaic copy of Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper. Between Minoritenplatz and Bankgasse is the town palace of the Liechtenstein family. On the south side of the square, at , is the former palace of the Dietrichstein family. This palace, an early work in 1755 by Franz Hillebrand, now houses the Austrian Chancellor’s Office and the Foreign Office. Its rooms have witnessed many historic events.

Minoritenplatz Photo Gallery

Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 01 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 01 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 02 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 02 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 03 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 03 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 04 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 04 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 05 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 05 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 06 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 06 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 07 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 07 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 08 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 08 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 09 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 09 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 10 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 10 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 11 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 11 photo
Minoritenplatz
Minoritenplatz: 12 photo Minoritenplatz Minoritenplatz: 12 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us