...

Millstatt

The greatest attraction in Millstatt, on the northern shore of Millstatter See, is a Benedictine Abbey dating from 1070. From then until 1469 it was run by the Hirsau Benedictines; later the monastery and church passed into the hands of the Order of the Knights of St George, and from 1598 until 1773 it was owned by the Jesuits. The most beautiful part of the abbey is its Renaissance courtyard surrounded by twostorey arcades. This was built in the 16th century, when the abbey was run by the Order of St George. The monastery is linked with the church by a 12th-century cloister whose pillars, decorated by medieval carvers, display a grotesque world of animals, plants and faces. Even older, dating back to the Carolingian period, are the magical ornaments on the old buildings, possibly representing some pagan spells. An eye-catching feature inside the church is the Romanesque portal, made by master craftsman Rudger in 1170. In the side chapels are the red marble tombs of the Order’s Grand Masters. Also worth seeing is a fresco from 1519, depicting the Last Judgement.

Millstatt Photo Gallery

Millstatt
Millstatt: 01 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 01 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 02 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 02 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 03 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 03 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 04 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 04 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 05 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 05 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 06 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 06 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 07 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 07 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 08 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 08 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 09 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 09 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 10 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 10 photo
Millstatt
Millstatt: 11 photo Millstatt Millstatt: 11 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us