...

Michaelerplatz

Michaelerplatz faces the grand main entrance into the imperial residence, the Michaelertor (St Michael’s Doorway), which leads to the Hofburg’s inner courtyard. On both sides of the doorway are 19th-century wall fountains, designed by Rudolf Weyer, which represent the empire’s land and sea power. Michaelerkirche (St Michael’s Church) was once the parish church of the court. Its oldest parts date from the 13th century. According to legend, the church was built in 1221 by Leopold VI of Babenberg. Its present form dates from 1792, when it was given a Neo- Classical fa?ade, while still preserving its Baroque portal. The interior features one of the most beautiful Rococo altars in Vienna. Above the altar is a stucco relief depicting the expulsion of the rebel angels from heaven and the Archangel Gabriel at the head of the heavenly host. In the 17th and 18th centuries, affluent parishioners were buried under the church. Their well-preserved corpses, clothed in their burial finery, are displayed in the crypt, in open coffins. The remains of a Roman encampment, as well as some medieval foundations, were discovered underneath the square in 1990.

Michaelerplatz Photo Gallery

Michaelerplatz
Michaelerplatz: 01 photo Michaelerplatz Michaelerplatz: 01 photo
Michaelerplatz
Michaelerplatz: 02 photo Michaelerplatz Michaelerplatz: 02 photo
Michaelerplatz
Michaelerplatz: 03 photo Michaelerplatz Michaelerplatz: 03 photo
Michaelerplatz
Michaelerplatz: 04 photo Michaelerplatz Michaelerplatz: 04 photo
Michaelerplatz
Michaelerplatz: 05 photo Michaelerplatz Michaelerplatz: 05 photo
Michaelerplatz
Michaelerplatz: 06 photo Michaelerplatz Michaelerplatz: 06 photo
Michaelerplatz
Michaelerplatz: 07 photo Michaelerplatz Michaelerplatz: 07 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us