...

Heldenplatz

imperial forum that was to adjoin the old Hofburg complex, surrounded by new buildings housing the emperor’s art collection. Neue Burg (New Castle) was completed in 1913, but by then the monarchy was dying out. The vast, undeveloped Heroes’ Square, the largest public space in Vienna, remained. It was here, in March 1938, that Adolf Hitler announced Austria’s incorporation into the German Reich. The entrance to the square is via Burgtor (Palace Gate), built in 1824 to commemorate the victory of the coalition against Napoleon in the Battle of Nations, at Leipzig (1813). Later, it served as the Monument to the Unknown Soldier. The two equestrian statues in the square, by Anton Fernkorn, are of Archduke Charles and Prince Eugene of Saxony. The latter stands in front of Neue Burg, which now houses, among other sights, the Ephesos Museum, named after the archaeological site in Turkey which yielded the finds displayed here. There is also a collection of early musical instruments, some owned by famous musicians; one of the most impressive arms collections in Europe; and an ethnological museum with valuable Oriental and African exhibits.

Heldenplatz Photo Gallery

Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 01 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 01 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 02 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 02 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 03 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 03 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 04 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 04 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 05 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 05 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 06 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 06 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 07 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 07 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 08 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 08 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 09 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 09 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 10 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 10 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 11 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 11 photo
Heldenplatz
Heldenplatz: 12 photo Heldenplatz Heldenplatz: 12 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us