...

Friesach

Friesach is Carinthia’s oldest town, with a history going back to 860, when the nearby fortress of Petersberg was founded. Traces of the town’s glorious past have survived to this day, including a moated town wall, 820 m (2,690 ft) long, and several castle towers. Of the fortress itself, only the six-storey keep on Petersberg survives. In the former chapel room, on the fourth floor, the remains of 12th-century frescoes can be seen. Adjacent to the fortress is Peterskirche (church of St Peter), which has a Gothic altar (1525) with a Romanesque statue of the Madonna (c.1200). The Dominikanerkloster (Dominican abbey) from 1217 holds a 14th-century Madonna, a wooden crucifix (1300) and other medieval artifacts. The church of St Blaise, built by the Teutonic Knights in 1213 on the ruins of an earlier church, has some original 12th-century frescoes.

Friesach Photo Gallery

Friesach
Friesach: 01 photo Friesach Friesach: 01 photo
Friesach
Friesach: 02 photo Friesach Friesach: 02 photo
Friesach
Friesach: 03 photo Friesach Friesach: 03 photo
Friesach
Friesach: 04 photo Friesach Friesach: 04 photo
Friesach
Friesach: 05 photo Friesach Friesach: 05 photo
Friesach
Friesach: 06 photo Friesach Friesach: 06 photo
Friesach
Friesach: 07 photo Friesach Friesach: 07 photo
Friesach
Friesach: 08 photo Friesach Friesach: 08 photo
Friesach
Friesach: 09 photo Friesach Friesach: 09 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us