...

Freistadt

Freistadt, the largest town in the Muhlviertel region, was once the last border fortress on the route leading from the alpine countries to Bohemia. Much of the medieval town wall has survived to this day, including several bastions and two impressive gateways; one of these, the late-Gothic Linzer Tor, is the symbol of the town. The focal point of the old town centre, the rectangular Hauptplatz, is lined with historic houses. On its east side stands the town hall, with a carved fountain. The 15th-century Katharinenmunster, the church of St Catherine, on the southwest side of the square, was altered in the Baroque style by Johann Michael Prunner. The altar paintings are the work of Carlo Carlone. The castle, not far from the main square, was built in 1397 for the widow of Prince Albert III. It was devastated by a fire in 1888 and subsequently turned into a military barracks. After restoration in 1995, it now houses the Schlossmuseum, a regional museum holding Austria’s largest collection of glass paintings.

Freistadt Photo Gallery

Freistadt
Freistadt: 01 photo Freistadt Freistadt: 01 photo
Freistadt
Freistadt: 02 photo Freistadt Freistadt: 02 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us