...

Dominikanerkirche

The Dominican monks came to Vienna in 1226, at the invitation of Duke Leopold VI. They built and consecrated their first church and convent here in the second half of the 13th century. The church that stands now, built between 1631 and 1674, was designed by Ciprian Biasino and Antonio Canevale. The church has a richly ornamented interior, with a ring of chapels surrounding the nave, with early-Baroque frescoes on the ceiling and a painting by Franz Geyling inside the dome. The second chapel on the right, St Vincent Chapel, has swirling Rococo grilles and candelabra, and a very beautiful gilt organ above the west door, set within a mid-18th century decorative enclosure. Niches in the majestic fa?ade contain statues of Dominican saints. The two statues in the corner recesses commemorate two great scientists and medieval religious figures, St Albert the Great and St Thomas Aquinas. Worth seeing are the frescoes by Tencala and Rauchmiller, and the high altar (1839—40) by Karl Rosner, with a painting by Leopold Kuppelwieser.

Dominikanerkirche Photo Gallery

Dominikanerkirche
Dominikanerkirche: 01 photo Dominikanerkirche Dominikanerkirche: 01 photo
Dominikanerkirche
Dominikanerkirche: 02 photo Dominikanerkirche Dominikanerkirche: 02 photo
Dominikanerkirche
Dominikanerkirche: 03 photo Dominikanerkirche Dominikanerkirche: 03 photo
Dominikanerkirche
Dominikanerkirche: 04 photo Dominikanerkirche Dominikanerkirche: 04 photo
Dominikanerkirche
Dominikanerkirche: 05 photo Dominikanerkirche Dominikanerkirche: 05 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us