Christiania Torv is located in Old Town in Oslo. Before the capital was moved, it was located where Christiania Torv now sits. It is named for one of the past kings in the area. The square is in a pattern that is fairly common for cities that were built during the Renaissance. The pattern was first used in the 1570’s in Livorno. The pattern was made by placing square cutouts in each of the corners of the 4 quarters of the street intersections.
The Akershus Fortress was expanded after the square was closed. The area was affected by a fire in 1686 and Upper Castle Street was continued on past the south area of the square. In addition, the building line located on the south went on for about 15 meters north. This caused the area to lose the original square shape.
The shape was not finished as the Holy Trefoldigheds Church located in the northwest quadrant took up a big part of the area that would have made the square and the rest of the area made up a cemetery. The church was demolished after the first fire and the materials were then used to create a new cathedral. The new cathedral was built outside of the city limits.
The name Christiania Torv was given to the area in 1958 as a reference to the first central market place in the area. The area received an honor for its architecture in 2003.
Christiania Torv Photo Gallery
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us