Bruck an der Mur

This major industrial centre lies at the mouth of the Murz river, where it flows into the Mur. Bruck flourished during the 14th and 15th centuries, thanks to its trade with Venice, when it had the right to store grain and salt. The small but attractive old town in the fork of the Murz and Mur rivers dates from this period. Bruck was once a town of blacksmiths and their works are now its chief historical attractions. On the main square stands an iron well (1626) by the local master, Hans Prasser, sporting an intricate wrought-iron canopy. The parish church of Maria Geburt features an interesting door (1500) to the vestry, a beautiful example of Styrian metalwork. This Gothic church was later altered in the Baroque style. The former Minorite church has several important 14th-century frescoes. In the main square, Koloman-Wallisch Platz, stands the town hall with an attractive arcaded courtyard, in a former ducal residence. The town’s loveliest building is the late-Gothic Kornmesserhaus, built for the ironmonger Kornmess. It has open arcades on the ground floor and a first-floor loggia. A small distance away, on the other side of the Mur, stands St Rupert’s church, with a superb Last Judgement fresco (1420), uncovered in the 1930s. Above the town rise the ruins of Landskron fortress, whose only remaining feature is the bell tower.

Bruck an der Mur Photo Gallery

Bruck an der Mur
Bruck an der Mur: 01 photo Bruck an der Mur Bruck an der Mur: 01 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us