What Is The Barenplatz?
The Barenplatz (also called the Bear Plaza) is a plaza located in Bern, the capital of Switzerland. The Bear Plaza is located in Bern (in the Old City) in the medieval city center. It is within the Innere Neustadt and it was constructed in the second expansion period in the mid-13th century (between 1255-1260). It is situated to the north of Bundesplataz, south of Waisenhausplatz and west of Kafigturm. Barenplatz is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site that entails the Old City.
In 1256, in medieval times, the place that ended up becoming Barenplatz was a ditch that was integrated into the city wall. In 1513, the norhtenr part was set apart to become the Bear Pits (also called the Barengraben). In 1578, the bridge that crossed into Kafigturm was torn down and in the following year, the southern part was put in. The southern area of the plaza was used for the wood and hay market, as well as for the horse market from 1668/69. When the Bear Pits were moved, the northern part was put in and came to be called Holzmarkt (Wood Market). The middle part was then called the Viehmarket (Cattle Market). The plaza was initially mentioned as Barenplatz in the middle part of the 19th century.
Barenplatz Photo Gallery
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us