...

Altes Rathaus

Vienna’s oldest town hall probably first stood at neighbouring Tuchlaubenstrasse. The building at Wipplingerstrasse was once owned by the rich and influential brothers Otto and Heymo Neuburg, who headed a burghers’ rebellion against the Habsburgs. In 1309, Prince Friedrich the Fair confiscated the building and gave it to the town. It served as the town’s main administrative centre until 1883. The entrance of Altes Rathaus is festooned with beautiful Baroque ironwork. In the courtyard stands the Andromeda Fountain (1741), the last work of the sculptor Georg Raphael Donner. A door leads from the courtyard to Salvatorkapelle (St Saviour’s chapel), the former Neuburg family chapel, which has a Renaissance portal (1520—30), facing Salvatorgasse, a rare example in Vienna of the Italian Renaissance style. Today, the Old Town Hall houses the Archives and Museum of the Austrian Resistance, devoted to the memory of those who risked their lives by opposing National Socialism in Austria, in the years 1934—45.

Altes Rathaus Photo Gallery

Altes Rathaus
Altes Rathaus: 01 photo Altes Rathaus Altes Rathaus: 01 photo
Altes Rathaus
Altes Rathaus: 02 photo Altes Rathaus Altes Rathaus: 02 photo
Altes Rathaus
Altes Rathaus: 03 photo Altes Rathaus Altes Rathaus: 03 photo
Altes Rathaus
Altes Rathaus: 04 photo Altes Rathaus Altes Rathaus: 04 photo
Altes Rathaus
Altes Rathaus: 05 photo Altes Rathaus Altes Rathaus: 05 photo
Altes Rathaus
Altes Rathaus: 06 photo Altes Rathaus Altes Rathaus: 06 photo
Altes Rathaus
Altes Rathaus: 07 photo Altes Rathaus Altes Rathaus: 07 photo
© 2010-2017 gabisworld.com Contact Us